Styling Vivian Rouvela
Photos Lefteris Siarapis
Words Eleni Papaioannou
The beach follows its own fashion rules so you better listen up if you want to be in the know.
This is the summer that will finally see the end of swimwear as we know it, at least for the last few decades. No matter how attached you are to your long, bermuda shorts, it’s high time you locked them up and threw away the key. Tall or short, slim or bulky, you will find the right style to suit your needs without trying to hide what you see as your flaws. We are not suggestion you go out and get yourself a lycra number that will flaunt them, of course. This year’s trend is a tribute to the classic manly style brought to us by our beloved Sean Connery as a wet and handsome James Bond, walking out from the sea in his shorts, a scene perfectly carved in our collective conciousness also by Mr Daniel Craig.
5: Orlebar Brown trunks, available exclusively for Greece at Salt Water, www.saltwatergreece.com
6: Valentino swimsuit, Luisa, available at www.luisaworld.com
7: Trunks by Lacoste, Available at Lacoste Boutiques
8: Flower Canvas trunks, by Calzedonia
So, here they are, the rules for shopping the best swimsuits around in 2017:
· Treat your suimsuit as you would a tailored piece of clothing. Fit, stiching and size are of the outmost importance.
· Chose a simple, bold color if you want to walk on the safe side. A classic green, yello or red are some of our favorite options.
· Stripes are always in style so you can choose a number that will swim with you for quite a long time.
· The biggest challenge of the season are the printed shorts. Hawaian backdrops, Mykonian landscapes, even little fish can play the game, with the classic paisley taking first position as the all-year favorite.
· Check out the waist of your suit. If you are a bit on the heavy side, don’t go for an elastic one but rather choose one with a sort of belt on. The adjustable strips found in brands such as Olrebar Brown are an all time winner.
· Details matter a lot, in such a small item. Be it the button, the cord or the side pockets, zippered or not, make sure they are very well thought of, practical as well as elegant.